Here's an easy and awesome crockpot recipaaaay for making spice-ayyyyyyy turkaaaayy chilllaaaayyyy, and it won't cost a ton of monaaayyyy. My family loves it. Enjoy!
- Big fry pan
- Beverage of choice to savour while cooking - mood depending and appropriateness factor as well.
- Approximately 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- Beans and plenty of them. I use 1 can of black beans, 1 can of red kidney beans, and 1 can of white kidney beans. Typically the 540 ml.19 oz cans. Drain and rinse them all.
- Drained (or mainly drained) can of diced tomatoes (herbed or not, whatever tickles your fancy)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Red pepper flakes (anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbsp, depending on how spicy you want it)
- ground coriander (1 tsp but more if you want)
- ground cumin (1 tsp but more if you want)
- chicken stock (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can tomato paste (no clue how many ml/oz it is, but it's the small one)
- spicy chilies if you have them handy (green ones or my favourite, ONE smoked chipotle pepper)
What you need to do:
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey, onion, red pepper flakes, coriander and cumin. Cook until meat no longer pink.
2. Add all the beans, tomatoes, corn, tomato paste and chicken stock (plus optional chilies) to the crockpot and stir gently to combine. Don't smush the beans!
3. Cover and either refrigerate to cook next day or later, or go ahead and fire up the crockpot. You can cook on low 6 to 10 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.